I am an Associate Professor in DCDS (erstwhile SERC), IISc. Prior to
joining IISc, from 1999-2003, I was in Innovative Computing Lab of Dr.
Jack Dongarra, Computer Science Department, University of Tennessee, USA, first
as a PhD student and then as a senior research associate.
My research interests are in high performance computing (HPC) in
general, and building middleware and runtime systems for parallel applications
and systems, in particular.
Our lab, MARS, deals with the following primary areas:
- HPC Runtime Systems / Application Frameworks:
Our lab works on building runtime systems for HPC applications on both accelerator and general HPC systems. We primarily focus on irregular applications including graph applications, N-Body simulations, Molecular Dynamics (MD), and Adaptive Mesh Refinement (AMR) applications.
We have also worked with applications in climate science and visualization in collaboration with researchers working in these areas.
- Accelerator systems: Techniques for load balancing, hybrid executions utilizing both CPU and GPU cores, and efficient executions of different programming models on these systems.
- Large-scale systems: Scalability studies, tools and techniques, processor allocation, mapping and remapping strategies on HPC network topologies.
- Job Scheduling: Our work is on analyzing job submissions, developing prediction strategies and scheduling techniques that use predictions for efficient job management and utilization of production supercomputer systems.
- Fault Tolerance: For exascale applications using checkpointing and process replication.
Besides these, we are also eager to learn about and providing solutions for efficient executions, good speedups, and in general remarkable reduction in turnaround times of large time-consuming Industrial applications.
- Prakash Murali, Sathish Vadhiyar. Metascheduling of HPC Jobs in Day-Ahead Electricity Markets. In the proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), December 2015, Bangalore, India.
- Cijo George, Sathish Vadhiyar. Fault Tolerance on Large Scale Systems using Adaptive Process Replication. IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol 64/8, pp 2213-2225, August 2015.
- Anirudh Jayakumar, Prakash Murali, Sathish Vadhiyar. Matching Application Signatures for Performance Predictions using a Single Execution. In the proceedings of the IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), May 2015, Hyderabad, India.
- Hari Raghavan, Sathish Vadhiyar. Adaptive Executions of Hyperbolic Block-Structured AMR Applications on GPU Systems. International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications (IJHPCA), Vol 29/2, pp 135-153, 2015.
- Rajath Kumar, Sathish Vadhiyar. Prediction of Queue Waiting Times for Metascheduling on Parallel Batch Systems. In the proceedings of the Workshop on Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing (JSSPP), May 2014, Phoenix, USA.
Current: 1 PhD, 2 Masters by Research, 2 Masters by Course, 6 project assistants.
Past: 3 PhDs, 6 Masters by Research, 10 Masters by Course, 1 long-duration student
intern from INSA, Lyon.
- SE 295, January, 3:1. Parallel Programming. 2004,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16.
- SE 286, August, 3:1. Data Structures and Programming. 2014.
- SE 292, August, 3:0. High Performance Computing. 2009,10,11,12,13,15.
- SE 293, August, 3:1. Topics in Grid Computing. 2004,05,06,07.
Editorial Boards: Associate Editor, TPDS. 2014-date.
Award Committee: ACM Senior Member Award Comittee. 2015-date.
Chair: Session Chair - ICS 2013, Student affairs committee chair - PPoPP 2010,...
Program Committee: HiPC 2015, SC Posters 2015, IEEE Cluster 2015, ...
Reviewer: IEEE TC 2015, Parco 2015, JPDC 2015, IJHPCA 2014, ...
Invited Talks: JNU Delhi - November 2015, NIT Trichy - January
2015, NMIT Bangalore - 2014,...
- Outstanding Reviewer Status for Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, May 2015.
- NVIDIA Innovation Award. For the project "GPU-enabled Efficient Executions of Radiation Calculations for Climate Modeling''. 2013.
- Yahoo! Faculty Research Award, 2011.
- Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) Young Engineer Award, 2009.
- University of Tennessee citation for Extraordinary Professional Promise, 2003.
Interested in working with us?
Look for project positions in our lab positions page.
January 05, 2016